Dental sealants are a preventive orthodontic remedy for patients who want to avoid damaging their teeth from infection and tartar. Sealants are a layer of dental solution that is coated with the outer layer of the teeth which are more prone to bacterial accumulation.
What are the benefits of Sealants?
Dental sealants are known to be an exceptionally smart alternative to the many dental restorative and orthodontic solutions. They have several benefits. Here are a few:
- Dental sealants will provide an outer covering of the teeth preventing teeth infection and decay.
- They help to preserve the natural look and feel of the teeth.
- The sealant will help to avoid further damages to the teeth.
- Sealants can avoid the need to perform costly restorative remedies such as braces, tooth extractions, and many more.
- Sealants are known for their durability and protective nature.
- They also help to prevent discoloration of the teeth to a wide extent.
- In case sealants come off, they can be easily re-applied in another appointment.
Who will benefit from Dental Sealants?
Dental Sealants are excellent for children as it will go a long way in preventing several orthodontic abnormalities in the future. Parents can be assured that sealants will help their children in preventing accumulation of bacteria, tartar plaque from damaging their natural teeth. Sealants will certainly prevent decaying of the teeth. Gradually, parents can be assured that their children will not have to suffer from major orthodontic discrepancies such as infection of the gums or dental cavities.
How are Dental Sealants applied?
The procedure is remarkably simple. It is the simplicity of the procedure that allows patients to often come and have their sealants re-applied in case it happens to wear off.
A typical procedure to apply any sealant would require the following steps.
- The teeth will undergo an initial round of cleaning and removal of any existing bacteria and dirt.
- The teeth will be completely dried.
- Before applying the sealant, an absorbent solution will be applied to the teeth. This will help to quickly attach the sealant to the teeth.
- The sealant will be then applied to the teeth.
- A light will be streamed on to the teeth allowing the sealant material to attach itself firmly to the surface of the teeth.
After the application of sealants, it is vital and mandatory that patients continue to follow oral hygiene routines to ensure that their teeth remain healthy and in good form.